Digital Photography & Imaging / Final Project: Self-titled

01.11.2022 – 07.12.2022 / Week 10 – Week 14
Hewr Khaled Mohamed Walid Bayazid / 0337650
DPI / Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) (Broadcasting)
Final Project: Self-titled



INSTRUCTIONS


FINAL PROJECT / Self-titled

"Self-titled is an exploration project for the students to express their own individuality and reflect their personality into digital art self-expression. The main idea is to build up self-confidence and discover their interest."
–––


Idea Development
We were required to write a proposal, so the first thing I did was write a short biography about myself and a statement about my work as instructed.

Fig 1.1, Biography, 01/11/22

Fig 1.2, Statement, 01/11/22

After that, we had to look for different visual references and pick 3 posters to use as reference.

Fig 1.3, References, 01/11/22

Then, we had to sketch our ideas.

Fig 1.4, Sketches, 02/11/22

After approval from Mr. Martin, I began working on my posters. However, after many attempts and explorations, I ended up going with a slightly different direction than my sketches.

Fig 1.5, Process, 11/11/22

Fig 1.6, Drafts, 11/11/22

I decided to go with my first poster as I thought it looked better visually. I proceeded by adding more elements to enhance the poster.


FINAL Poster

Fig 2.0, FINAL Poster "The Little Things", 17/11/22

I strongly believe that joy is found in the little, ordinary things, so I wanted my poster to portray this message. As such, I decided to go for a simple look.

My poster resembles a physical collage, although it was done digitally. All the items/objects are cut out from my portrait itself, as to depict that ‘this is a part of me/this is me’. I also intentionally cut out the shapes imperfectly to further express my message.


Animation
After getting my poster approved by Mr. Martin, I started working on the animation on After Effects.

Fig 3.0, Process 2, 21/11/22


FINAL Video
Link: https://youtu.be/Kzhx1nYBUuc

Fig 4.0, FINAL Video "Conflicting Feelings", 04/11/22

To create something dynamic, I decided to portray conflicting feelings in this video.

The message I wanted to convey is: “While joy can be found in the ordinary and the little things around us, sometimes it gets too dark for us to be able to see anything.”

To further express this message, I decided to create a simple animation for the first portion of the video, and then added more effects and movement for the second portion to express complex emotions.



FEEDBACK

Week 11
I shared with Mr. Martin my biography, statement, references and sketches this week. He told me to go ahead with my idea.


Week 13
This week I showed Mr. Martin my final poster. His feedback was positive, and asked me to go ahead with my animation.



REFLECTION


Experience

I found working on this project quite challenging as it involved my own portrait. Additionally, while I am not new to After Effects, I do not use it often and thus I struggled while creating the animation. Although I am not very happy with the outcome, I liked that I was able to express myself through this project.

Observations
Before working on this project, I tried to observe my surroundings, my habits, my likes and dislikes, and my thoughts and feelings. This helped me decide on a theme for my poster and animation. Plus, I personally enjoyed looked at everyone's work as it expresses a part of them. 

Findings
Throughout this project, I mostly gained skills in regards to After Effects and creating animations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography / Task 3: Type Design & Communication

Typography / Task 1: Exercises

Typography / Final Compilation & Reflection