Digital Photography & Imaging / Project 2

01.10.2022 – 30.10.2022 / Week 6 – Week 9
Hewr Khaled Mohamed Walid Bayazid / 0337650
DPI / Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) (Broadcasting)
Project 2



LECTURES


WEEK 5 / Double Exposure

This week, wee were introduced to double exposure photography – merging multiple images together. Some of the possibilities that were mentioned are:

  • Using the tilt-shift effect
  • Creating a fake reflection
  • Experimenting with simple portraits and textures
  • Converting results to black & white
  • Working with a silhouette
  • Picking two random photos
  • Making simple objects look fascinating
  • Using shadow
We were also briefed on Project 2A.


WEEK 6 / Digital Photography

This week we learned about the basics of photography and the different settings in a camera.

  • Exposure: The amount of light which reaches your camera sensor or film.
  • Iris: Iris/Aperture is control the flow of light entering the lens.
    • Iris/Aperture is measured by f-stop, indicated by sequence of f-number: f/1, f/1.4, f/2 , f/ 2.8, f/ 4, f/ 5.6, f/ 8, f/ 11, f/ 16, f/22 , f/32. The lower the f-number, the larger the lens opening.
  • Shutter: A small plastic sheet that opens and closes to allow light onto the film or prevent light from reaching the film.
    • Shutter speed is measured in seconds: 1/1000 s,1/500 s,1/250 s,1/125 s,1/60 s,1/30 s,1/15 s,1/8 s,1/4 s,1/2 s,1 s, 2 s, 3 s.
  • ISO: Originally referred to the sensitivity of film—it's "light gathering" ability. For digital photography, ISO refers to the sensitivity—the signal gain—of the camera's sensor.
    • The common ISO camera settings are: 100, 200, 400, 640, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400.
    • The lower the number of ISO the less sensitive your camera is to light and the finer the grain. 
  • Focal Length: Focal length is the measurement (in mm) from the optical centre of a camera lens to the camera’s sensor.
    • The shorter the focal length, the wider the angle of view and vice-versa.
  • Depth of field: The proportion of the image that is reasonably sharp and in focus.
    • The smaller the aperture you use, the greater the depth of field.


WEEK 7 / Healing Tool

This week we completed multiple exercises using the heal tool on Photoshop.


WEEK 8 / Independent-learning Week

As this is our independent-learning week, I continued working on Project 2.



INSTRUCTIONS


PROJECT 2A / Double Exposure

"Students use specific skillsets from photoshop to blend their portrait with layers of background images."
–––


Process
The first thing I did was look for references on Pinterest for inspiration. Here are some of the ones I personally liked:

Fig 1.1, Visual References, 30/09/22

We then took our portraits during class. As I wanted my side profile, this is the photo I ended up going with:

Fig 1.2, Portrait, 30/09/22

I then began the process of editing my portrait.

Fig 1.3, Process, 01/10/22

My first idea was incorporating flowers/nature into my portrait to reflect my likes and personality. The outcome was the following:

Fig 1.4, Draft #1, 01/10/22

While I liked how it turned out, I thought it was too simple, and did not reflect my emotions/feelings effectively. Therefore, I made some adjustment and decided to add another layer of tree branches.

Fig 1.5, Draft #2, 06/10/22

I really liked the outcome this time as I thought it reflected me better, as well as looked more interesting visually-wise.

However, I decided to also explore a different option, and later on decide which I liked best. This time, I decided to incorporate elements of space.

Fig 1.6, Draft #3, 08/10/22

After exploring different options, however, I decided to go with my second draft. I adjusted it a little for my final submission.


Final Double Exposure

Fig 1.7, Final Project 2A, 10/10/22

I wanted to express contradicting feelings, which is why I incorporated contrasting elements: flowers & bare branches, black and white & colour. 


PROJECT 2b / Photo Manipulation

"Students use DSLR of mobile phone for production shooting that is been properly set up and lit. The selected photos will be edited in photoshop to meet the decided theme.
–––


Process

Before working on my photo manipulation piece, I looked at various references on Pinterest for inspiration.

Fig 2.1, Visual References, 11/10/22

The idea I first decided to go with is the combination of apples and wood, which I roughly sketched:

Fig 2.2, Apples & Wood Sketch, 13/10/22

I then proceeded by taking photos. I decided to take them during daytime for natural lighting as I did not have the appropriate equipment.

Fig 2.3, Apple & Wood Photos, 16/10/22

After that, I started editing the photos using Photoshop.

Fig 2.4, Editing Process, 16/10/22

Fig 2.5, Outcome #1, 16/10/22

After sharing my outcome with Mr. Martin, he suggested I change my idea as it did not reflect the assignment's aim.

My next idea was combining both a horse and a swan. As I was unable to photograph either, I looked for free stock photos and decided to go with the following:

Fig 2.6, Swan and Horse, 28/10/22

I then began editing the photos.

Fig 2.7, Editing Process, 28/10/22

After completing it, I was happy with the outcome, but I asked my friends and family for feedback to ensure it did not look unrealistic.


Final Photo Manipulation

Fig 2.8, Final Project 2B, 29/10/22



FEEDBACK

Week 5
We took our portraits for Project 2A this week, as Mr. Martin was assisting us and giving us feedback.


Week 9
This week I showed Mr. Martin my work for Project 2B. He suggested I change my idea as it did not effectively reflect the aim/goal of the assignment.



REFLECTION


Experience

Throughout working on this project, I personally really enjoyed the process of creating my double exposure portrait. Visiting the studio in campus was fun, as well as the editing process itself. What I liked the most was that I could express myself through my portrait, using different elements that reflected me as a person, as well as my feelings. As for Project 2B, I found it quite challenging as it was difficult to come up with an idea that was both original and doable. I was also struggling at the time as I tested positive for Covid-19, and was experiencing strong symptoms.

Observations
Something I've observed while working on this Project was that I work best through trial and error, which is why it is often difficult for me to create sketches (as I need to try out what works first).

Findings
Although I am quite familiar with Photoshop and use it often, I was able to gain more skills while working on both Project 2A and 2B. I also realised that it's always best to explore different options as it makes your learning experience more effective, as well as more exciting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography / Task 3: Type Design & Communication

Typography / Task 1: Exercises

Typography / Final Compilation & Reflection