Design Principles / Project 2: Sense of Place

24.10.2022 – 18.11.2022 / Week 8 – Week 12
Hewr Khaled Mohamed Walid Bayazid / 0337650
Design Principles / B' of Mass Comm (Hons) (Broadcasting)
Project 2: Sense of Place



PROJECT 2 BRIEF


  • Observe your surroundings – people, vehicles, buildings, plants, signages, nature, activities. Record these in sketches, photography and/or video recording. Study all the visuals that you had collected.
  • Select visuals that you find relevant and interesting to you, which you can translate into a design work that reflects your interpretation of a place. Remember to apply design principles in your work. For materials, you may use any of your choice, but do consider their suitability to best express your idea.



DESIGN PROCESS


Visual References
During class, Ms. Noranis asked us to take 3 photos that remind us of a certain location (which we would like to base our artwork on). At the beginning, the location I chose was my high school's piano room as it is very meaningful to me.

I took a photo of my school yearbook, the scarf I used to always wear in school, and took a screenshot of a piano cover I filmed in the piano room.

Fig 1.1, Visual References 1, (25/10/2022)

The next thing we had to do was choose an artist and a piece that we would like to use as a reference for our own artwork. These are the pieces I chose, by the artist 'syublight':

Fig 1.2, Visual References 2, (29/10/2022)

However, I was unsatisfied with my work and decided to change the location and artwork style. I decided to base my artwork on the house I lived in when I first moved to Malaysia in 2013, until 2021, as it is where I grew up and where I created a lot of memories. These were my visual references:

Fig 1.3, Visual References 3, (06/11/2022)


Fig 1.4, Visual References 4, (06/11/2022)


Idea Exploration & Description
I first explored my first option, creating the following:

Fig 2.1, Attempt 1, (31/10/2022)

However, I was very unsatisfied with my work so I tried exploring a different style.

Fig 2.2, Attempt 2, (05/11/2022)

However, I was stuck again and did not know how to improve it further, which is why I decided to change my idea.

Using my references, I created the following using Illustrator:

Fig 2.3, Draft 1, (08/11/2022)

I then coloured it.

Fig 2.4, Draft 2, (08/11/2022)


Because I wanted to express various emotions, I decided to split the artwork.

Fig 2.5, Draft 3, (15/11/2022)

Finally, I added some additional elements to fill the space as well as to further depict the emotions I wanted to deliver through this piece.


FINAL Sense of Place

Fig 3.0, FINAL Sense of Place, (18/11/2022)

Here is the rationale behind my choices:

  • contrasting colours - to depict the contradicting emotions I felt when I first moved to Malaysia
  • cold tones - as I never felt at 'home' in this house, I decided not to use warm tones
  • sunset - I often watched the sunset from my room
  • balance - I believe I've had an equal amount of happy and sad moments in that house, which is why I decided to split the artwork exactly in half, one harmonious and one in black & white
  • white lines - adds movement to the artwork and further depicts the feelings of loneliness
  • polaroid/film look - as I no longer live in that house, and it is of the past, I wanted to portray that.

Feedback
I shared with Ms. Noranis my initial location and visual references, which she approved and said was interesting.



REFLECTION


Experience
I was initially excited to work on this project as I am someone who often holds spaces dear, especially if they are associated with memories that are valuable to me. I also really liked the idea of expressing a location through an artwork, as it is something I have not attempted before. However, I did struggle throughout the process as I was unable to create what I have envisioned in the very beginning.

Observations
As this project focused on spaces and places, it was important to observe my environment. I tried to especially notice the things that I often disregard, and the feelings each item added to the space, and how that influenced me.

Findings
Working on this project has made me realise that it is not easy to deliver certain emotions through an artwork, and that it can take many trials and failures to create something satisfactory and meaningful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography / Task 3: Type Design & Communication

Typography / Task 1: Exercises

Typography / Final Compilation & Reflection